This guidance provides information about the different types of sentence and cases which panels may come across. It details the possible Parole Board decision outcomes for prisoners serving each types of sentence and provides relevant dates for each sentence type.
The guidance highlight where the powers and procedures of the Board are affected by the type of sentence the prisoner is serving and details the process-related issues relevant to specific types of cases.
This has been revised to reflect:
- The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022;
- The amended Secretary of State 2022 Directions on transfer of indeterminate sentence prisoners to open conditions;
- The Parole Board Rules 2019 (as amended);
- Johnson R v Secretary of State for Justice  EWHC 1282 (Admin); and
- The review of the Parole Boards paused policies.