About this visa
The UK will open a Hong Kong BN(O) visa for BN(O) citizens and their close family members from 31 January 2021.
Youll be able to apply to enter or remain in the UK for a period of 30 months (which you can extend by a further 30 months) or a period of 5 years. Youll be able to apply from outside or inside the UK.
This page will be updated with the latest information about this new immigration route.
What you can and cannot do
- study (including applying for higher education courses)
- use the National Health Service (NHS)
- claim public funds (social welfare benefits)
Your children will be able to:
- attend school if they are under 18 (all state schools are free)
- attend education and training if they are aged 16 to 19
Who can apply
You can apply for the Hong Kong BN(O) visa if you are a BN(O) citizen. You dont need a valid a BN(O) passport to show this and you dont need to request a new passport if its expired or has been lost. However, if you have an expired BN(O) passport you can submit it with your application.
Youll need a valid travel document and you can use a valid Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport to travel if you have one.
Your family members who normally live with you may also be able to apply, including your:
- spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner
- child (under the age of 18)
- adult child born on or after 1 July 1997 (and their spouse, or child under the age of 18)
- other family members (parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter) in exceptional circumstances where there is a high level of dependency
You and your family members must all apply together at the same time. If your family members do not apply with you, they will not be able to apply for the Hong Kong BN(O) visa to join you later.
Children under 18 should apply with both of their parents, although there are some exceptions.
If youre applying from outside the UK, you and your family members must normally live in Hong Kong.
If youre already in the UK, you must normally live in Hong Kong, the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man.
More detailed information will be published before the visa route opens.
Money youll need
You must show that you can accommodate and provide financial support for yourself and your family members for at least 6 months in the UK.
Youll need to provide evidence such as:
- bank statements
- offers of support or accommodation from friends or family
More detailed information on what documents you need will be published before the visa route opens.
You wont need to meet this requirement if youve been living in the UK for more than a year when you apply.
Tuberculosis (TB) certificate requirement
Applying from outside the UK
Applying from inside the UK
If youre already in the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man, and your last grant of permission was for 6 months or less (for example leave outside the rules at the border), you must provide a TB test certificate from an approved centre in the UK.
You wont need to provide a TB test certificate if you were last given permission to stay in the UK for more than 6 months and youve provided a TB test certificate before.
How to apply
Youll be able to apply for the Hong Kong BN(O) visa from 31 January 2021.
Youll need to pay the following fee and each of your family members will need to pay the fee too:
- 180 to apply to stay for 30 months
- 250 to apply to stay for 5 years
Immigration Health Surcharge
Youll need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).
For each adult this will be:
- 1,560 if youre applying to stay for 30 months
- 3,120 if youre applying to stay for 5 years
For each child under the age of 18, this will be:
- 1,175 if youre applying to stay for 30 months
- 2,350 if youre applying to stay for 5 years
Once youve paid the IHS, youll be able to use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.
Settlement and citizenship
Youll be able to apply to settle in the UK (also called indefinite leave to remain) once youve lived here for 5 years. If youve already spent time in the UK on a route to settlement (for example, a general work (Tier 2) visa), this time will count towards the 5 years.
Youll need to:
- meet the English language requirements
- pass the Life in the UK Test
- have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months in the previous 5 years
- pay a fee to apply for settlement
Youll be able to apply for citizenship once youve been settled in the UK for 12 months. Youll need to pay a fee to apply for citizenship.