Guidance: Report lost or stolen cattle

British Cattle Movement Service

November 8
09:20 2022

Cattle keepers must report any loss or theft of cattle, bison or buffalo to:

  • the police
  • the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS)

You must also post the animals passport or certificate of registration to BCMS. BCMS must receive this within 7 days of you becoming aware of the loss or theft.

British Cattle Movement Service
Curwen Road
Derwent Howe
CA14 2DD
Telephone (England): 0345 050 1234
Telephone (Wales): 0345 050 3456
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

You must also record the date of the loss or theft in your holding register.

If youre a member of the public, call the police to report lost cattle.

If the animal is found

You must:

  • confirm this in writing with BCMS
  • inform the police
  • update your holding register to show the animal has been found

What happens next

BCMS will send you a replacement passport. In some cases, they might need to visit your holding first.

Published 6 May 2014
Last updated 8 November 2022 +show all updates
  1. Content has been updated to improve readability and include contact details.

  2. This guidance has been updated to show it no longer applies to Scotland.

  3. First published.

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: