This licence allows you to trap edible dormice (also known as fat dormice) to preserve public health and safety and to prevent serious damage to crops, fruit, timber and other property. It allows you to use appropriate live capture traps or approved spring traps.
Approved spring traps
You can only use:
- Kania trap 2000
- Kania trap 2500
- Solway spring trap Mk4
- Solway spring trap Mk6
- Goodnature A24 rat and stoat trap
Edible dormice that are captured alive must not be released into the wild and must be humanely killed.
Register to use this licence
This is a class licence. You need to register to use it. Use the reference form attached to this page. You must include:
- the name of the pest control company you used (if applicable)
- your name and contact details
- any relevant experience or qualifications you have, with one reference
- any wildlife crime related convictions within the last 5 years
- the make and model of the spring trap youre using (if applicable)
How to report your actions
You must send an annual record of all edible dormice captured under this licence to Natural England by 31 January each year. Doing this also renews your registration to use this licence.