Ministry Of Defence
Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation (ALSO), paid under the War Pension Scheme, is an extra allowance payable to eligible War Pensioners whose service caused disability permanently prevents them from working in their regular occupation or other work of a similar standard.
To be eligible:
- you must have a War Pension at the 40% rate or higher but less than 100%
- your service caused disablement must make you permanently unable to do your regular occupation or work of a similar standard (this can include you trade or profession whilst in service)
- you must be under 65 years of age when you make a claim.
ALSO cannot be paid if you get any of the following:
- Unemployability Supplement
- Treatment Allowance
- Limited Capability for Work or Limited Capability for Work Related Activity components of Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
If you change your job, you need to tell us because this can change the amount we can pay you.
How to Claim
To apply for ALSO, complete the claim form.
The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in.
If you cannot download or print the form, phone or email the Veterans UK Helpline to ask for a copy.
If you disagree with a decision
Information on what to do if you think the decision is wrong
Changes in circumstances
You must let us know immediately about any changes in your circumstances so that we can make sure that you are getting the right amount of money.
If you need help
If you have any questions, contact Veterans UK
This guidance provides general information only. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate, but it is not a full and authoritative statement of the law. The scheme rules are the authoritative document.