Department For Education
The school admission appeals data collection (also known as APAD) is a statutory data collection that local authorities submit to us every January. You must complete statutory collections by law unless theres a good reason not to.
Deadlines for the 2020 collection:
- admission appeals deadline: Sunday 1 September 2019
- collection opens: Monday 13 January 2020
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 24 January 2020
What data to collect and submit
The collection gathers information about appeals that parents have asked for (lodged) before 1 September because their child was not admitted to their preferred school.
It only covers community and voluntary-controlled primary and secondary schools (including middle-deemed schools). For each phase, you must report:
- the total number of lodged appeals
- the total number of heard appeals
- appeal outcomes
Note that if a community and voluntary-controlled school is in the process of converting to an academy, you should only include them if they are still under local authority control on spring school census day (Thursday 16 January 2020).
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that well only be able to change the status of your data submission to authorised, once youve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
Data collection documents
Our guidance will help you complete the collection:
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. Ensure you have:
- checked the data collection enquiry button
- selected appeal against admissions in the drop-down menu
Reset your secure access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver if:
- you want to request a secure access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- school admission appeals data collection isnt on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you dont know who your approver is, please use the secure access service request form. Select I do not know who the approver is for my organisation.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.