Detailed guide: Service family accommodation

Defence Infrastructure Organisation

November 7
14:18 2019


The provision of good quality living accommodation for service personnel and their families is an important priority for the Ministry of Defence (MOD).

The MODs Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) manages around 50,000 properties in the UK including planning targeted improvement programmes and planning future requirements. On behalf of the DIO, Amey, manages a comprehensive maintenance service; the allocation of properties; SFA furniture; conducting move in and move out appointments; and the provision of improvements.

Service family accommodation in Buckinghamshire

Service family accommodation in Buckinghamshire (MOD/Crown Copyright)

The original contract with CarillionAmey became effective on 1 November 2014 for Scotland and Northern Ireland and UK wide allocations; and on 1 December 2014 in England and Wales and for SFA furniture.

In areas where SFA housing stock is unavailable, service families may be provided with fully-serviced privately rented properties, known as substitute service family accommodation (SSFA). This accommodation is sourced and leased on behalf of the MOD by Mears Group Limited.

Entitlement for SFA and SSFA

To be entitled to apply for SFA, service personnel must:

  • be aged 18 and over
  • be married or in a civil partnership or who have permanent custody of children
  • have at least 6 months to serve

Service personnel who have completed more than 4 years of service and are in an established Long-Term Relationship (LTR(E)) are also eligible to cohabit in surplus SFA, when available. An LTR(E) will be defined by specified criteria and recorded as such on Joint Personnel Administration (JPA).

SFA is at service personnels duty station or within a set radius; although you may be eligible to apply for surplus SFA at other locations.

The type of property you are entitled to is usually dependent on your rank for officers and family size for other ranks. When you apply for SFA, Amey Occupancy Services Team will allocate you a property using the preferences you have expressed and based on your entitlement or eligibility, competing requirements, and service agreements.

Full details on entitlement and eligibility for UK SFA and Substitute service family accommodation (SSFA) are available in:

Full details on entitlement and eligibility for overseas SFA and SSFA are available in:

SFA costs and charges

Charges for service family accommodation (SFA) for service personnel are set by the Armed Forces Pay Review Body. The current SFA accommodation charges are available to view.

Pay queries

If you have a standard query about your pay in connection with SFA charges, please contact the Amey helpdesk on 0800 707 6000, providing full details (such as your service number) about why you believe that charges have been applied incorrectly so this can be investigated.

CAAS challenges

If you wish to challenge or appeal against your charge as a result of the Combined Accommodation Assessment System (CAAS) then the correct procedure is set out on the CAAS challenges page on the Defence Intranet.

To access the dedicated CAAS Intranet page, copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar when logged on to the Defence Intranet:

Full details on grade for charge are available in:

Applying for and allocation of SFA

e-1132 form

If you are entitled, you will need to complete and submit an application for SFA. All service personnel who have access to the Defence Intranet are expected to complete their application online using the e-1132 form. To access the form, copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar when logged on to the Defence Intranet:

The e-1132 form system allows you to:

  • track the progress of your application
  • view available properties that match your entitlement
  • register your top 3 preferences
  • book your move in (once an offer for a property has been made and accepted,)
  • where appropriate book your move out appointment
  • electronically signing your licence to occupy.

MOD Form 1132

For service personnel who do not have access to the Defence Intranet, a paper version of the MOD Form 1132: application to occupy service family accommodation (SFA) is available in JSP 464: tri-service accommodation regulations (TSARs) Part 2, Chapter 4. Exceptions to using the online system are normally for personnel who are on operations and do not have access to the Defence Intranet.

Amey Occupancy Services team

If you have an allocations enquiry, the Amey Occupancy Services team at the Amey helpdesk is available Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3:00pm.

You can call them on Freephone: 0800 707 6000 Select Option 3 (for calls made within the UK, mobile users may incur charges) or using the alternative telephone number: 0151 728 1630

Or you can email the team:

For more information about the SFA application process, please visit the Amey website

Substitute accommodation

Once in possession of a Non-availability certificate (NAC) you will be able to advance your e-1132 or F1154 application to the Substitute Accommodation team.

For F1154 applications, when all parts have been completed please post or fax to:

Substitute Accommodation team (SAT)
DIO Accommodation

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: