UK Space Agency
Defra, working with the UK Space Agency and the Satellite Applications Catapult, has developed a roadmap to identify and realise the unique potential of Earth Observation (EO) data for Defra and the UK economy over the next five years.
The roadmap - developed in close collaboration with the UK Space Agencys Space for Smarter Government Programme - sets out how Defra will make use of EO data in its policy-making and operations and how it will make more cost-efficient and effective decisions
EO data is to be integrated into at least five Defra policy areas by 2020.
Defras core policy objectives include:
- A cleaner, healthier environment which benefits people and the economy
- A world-leading food and farming industry
- A thriving rural economy, contributing to national prosperity and wellbeing
- A nation protected against natural threats and hazards, with strong response and recovery capabilities
- Excellent delivery, on time and to budget, and with outstanding value for money
The roadmap will be further shaped and delivered by the recently launched Defra EO Centre of Excellence and the main delivery partners outside Defra which are SSGP, UK Space Agency, Satellite Applications Catapult and the National Centre for Earth Observation.