Complete your application form, annexes and maps

Rural Payments Agency

February 26
00:03 2021

Step 1 Start your application form

If youve received the pack by email after youve saved it to your computer, fill in the form on your screen.

If youve received the pack by post:

  • use black ink and CAPITAL LETTERS. Do not use pencil or felt-tip pen

  • do not cross through whole pages or remove pages

  • do not use correction fluid. Correct mistakes and initial and date them.

Completely fill any checkbox containing a mistake and put a cross or a tick in the correct box.

You must sign your application if you are submitting a paper application by post.

Front Page

Confirm which type of agreement you are applying for:

  • Arable Offer

  • Lowland Grazing Offer

  • Mixed Farming Offer

  • Upland Offer.

Enter an Agreement title, for example, the farm name or what the land is commonly known as.

Your application ID is pre-populated. If this is blank, contact us for help.

Section 1: Application details

Fill in this section with your details.

1.Your SBI is already pre-populated.

2.(a) Fill in (a) with the name of the applicant. This should be the same as the name on the Start Here tab in the Annex.

If (b) Business name is pre-populated, check that the Business name and SBI are for the correct business.

Fill in (c) and (d) with the main contact name and business name if these are different to the applicant at a) and the printed business name at b).

Please contact us immediately with any changes to your contact information at (c) and (d). Please make any other change in the Rural Payments service.

Fill in (e) (f) and (g) with the main contact landline number, mobile number and email address.

Section 2: Farm business details

Read Section 3.2 Management control, eligibility and scheme rules in the Mid Tier and Wildlife Offers manual.

3.(a) Confirm whether you have management control of all the land in the application for the entire length of the proposed agreement and can meet the Declaration and Undertakings in Section 3. If Yes go to Question 4. If No go to Question 3 (b).

(b) Fill in a Countryside Stewardship Land Ownership and Control form with each person who would take over your responsibilities if you cease to have management control over any of the land. This would normally be the landlord or another person with management control. Confirm youre including them with your application then go to Question 3(c).

Get a copy of the Countryside Stewardship Land Ownership and Control form on GOV.UK.

If you cannot get online, call us to ask for a paper copy.

(c) Confirm if any of the counter signatories are a Public Body, for example, local authorities, National Park authorities, public corporations. If Yes go to Question 3 (d). If No go to Question 4.

(d) Include a copy of your tenancy agreement with your application, so that we can make sure your application is valid. Confirm you have done this.

4.Obligations of your tenancy agreement to carry out environment management cannot be funded by Countryside Stewardship. Tick Yes to confirm that this application is not seeking funding for these activities.

5.(a) Read section 3.3.1 in the Mid Tier and Wildlife Offers manual on GOV.UK.

Tick Yes at (a) if someone else is claiming for BPS on any land parcels in this application. Then tell us if you are the landlord or tenant at (b).

IMPORTANT - if youre also applying for the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) check whether any land parcels youve added to your application are also in your BPS application.

Continue your application through Steps 2 and 3 before you complete the declaration on your application form at Step 4.

Step 2 Your Farm Environment Record (FER) map(s)

If you received a combined FER/Options map, you should photocopy it or print 2 copies. Use one copy to show your farm environment features and areas, as explained in this section (and the other copy to show your options, as explained at Step 3.)

Your FER map must show all the land parcels youre including in your application. The FER map does not need to cover the whole holding but it must include any land parcels that have proposed multi-year options (permanent or rotational) and any proposed capital items.

You must mark on the FER map:

  • any land parcels in your application that are at moderate to high risk of runoff or soil erosion

  • all environmental features and areas in the land parcels in your application

  • all land parcels under your SBI that will be used for rotational options during the whole 5 year period of the agreement

  • all Scheduled Monuments (SM) within your control under your SBI.

There is an obligation to retain features mapped in the FER map and protect them from damage or removal for the duration of the agreement.

If you have a FER map from a previous Environmental Stewardship agreement and there has been little or no change to the environmental features on your land, you may be able to use that map (updated as necessary, as explained under Mark your environmental features and areas on your map).

If you do not have a FER map from a previous Environmental Stewardship agreement or there have been changes to the environmental features on your land, mark them on a copy of the FER map included in the application pack.

Remember that cross compliance requirements apply across the whole holding.

Land parcels with moderate to high runoff and soil erosion risk

Before you complete the FER, you should consider whether any of your land is at risk from surface runoff and soil erosion. You must do this for all of the land parcels on the holding. The risk assessment should be based on inherent risk, proximity and connection to a waterbody, such as a pond, lake, ditch, stream or river and on managed risk.

To do this use the assessment form on GOV.UK, search for Runoff and soil erosion assessment: Countryside Stewardship. Or use the guidance below.

Inherent Risk

Focuses on the risk of pollution associated with the topography, soils and naturally occurring land conditions. Inherent risk can be greatly reduced if the management and use of that land is done in a way sympathetic to the natural limitations. For example, a field of great inherent risk due to slope and soil texture might be of only moderate importance if that field were to be under woodland or extensive grassland management.

Factors to consider when defining the inherent risk include:

  • soil texture (risk of detachment or poor infiltration)

  • steepness of slope angles and slope length should be assessed to determine the relative overall risk of an area of land

  • flooding frequency: land that floods is susceptible to erosion and runoff, particularly when under cultivation.

This runoff may carry very fine soil particles, soluble pollutants such as plant nutrients and pesticides or manures to watercourses. The observed water runoff is usually, but not always, discoloured. The following detail is a guide to field classification for risk of runoff based on slope.

Soil type all soils

Steep slopes greater than 7 (gr

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: