Detailed guide: Register as a children’s social care provider or manager


November 18
12:32 2019


Services that must register with Ofsted

These social care services must register with Ofsted before they can operate:

  • adoption support agencies
  • childrens homes, including secure childrens homes
  • independent fostering agencies
  • residential family centres
  • residential holiday schemes for disabled children
  • voluntary adoption agencies

If you are interested in registering as a provider of one of the above there are introductory documents to read first.

You need to apply to register as the provider of a new service. Each application, except for voluntary adoption agencies, must also include an application to register a manager.

You also need to apply to register the new manager of an existing service, except for voluntary adoption agencies.

Services that must register with Ofsted are inspected by Ofsted.

Services that Ofsted inspects but does not register

There are some childrens social care services that Ofsted inspects but does not register.

Childrens social care services that are not required to register with Ofsted are:

  • boarding schools (unless these require registration as childrens homes)
  • local authority childrens services
  • residential special schools (unless they require registration as childrens homes)
  • secure training centres
  • Cafcass

Before you apply

You should not submit an application to Ofsted until you:

  • are familiar with the regulations and national minimum standards for the type of establishment or agency you wish to register (these are listed at the bottom of this page)
  • have a Disclosure and Barring Service certificate for everyone who needs one (this includes all those who must submit an SC2 form) obtained online via the Capita website
  • are familiar with how Ofsted processes personal data, as outlined in our personal information charter and social care privacy notice
  • have all of your policies, documents and procedures in place as detailed in the service specific regulations and this guidance (these must relate to the establishment or agency you are applying to register)
  • have appointed a manager (please note that you must include their application to register with us as part of your application if you do not, your application will be returned to you)
  • have appointed a responsible individual, where necessary
  • have a completed health declaration booklet for everyone who needs one
  • have the relevant planning permission documentation
  • have premises that meet any planning requirements and are ready to accommodate the proposed service

DBS disclosures

Before you apply for registration, everyone who is completing an SC2 declaration and consent form must have obtained a DBS certificate. The certificate must be at an enhanced level with barring information. There is further reading in Disclosure and Barring Service: guidance for childrens social care providers.

Everyone who needs a DBS certificate must either:

  • apply online through the Capita website if youre not also signed up to the DBS update service, you must submit your registration application within 3 months of your DBS certificate date


  • provide us with an enhanced DBS certificate carried out via another organisation and be a subscriber to the DBS update service

For further information about the DBS update service go to the guide to registration for childrens social care services.

Application process

Residential holiday schemes for disabled children can only apply using Ofsted application forms.

Adoption support agencies, childrens homes, independent fostering agencies, residential family centres and voluntary adoption agencies can apply to register online.

To help you apply for registration Ofsted has a guide to registration for childrens social care services.

If you are applying online, please also read the online application guidance available with the guide to registration.

You apply online at Ofsted Online. To do this you will need a Government Gateway account: follow the link on Ofsted Online if you need to create one. Once you have registered with the Government Gateway, you can begin your application.


Registration fee

There are fees to register as a provider or manager.

You must pay a registration fee as part of your application. This fee is non-refundable.

You must also pay a single, non-refundable fee for an application for a registered manager. This fee is payable for an application for a registered manager connected with a new establishment or agency and also when a new manager is registered for an existing establishment or agency.

Annual fee

There are annual fees for as long you remain registered.

If Ofsted grants your registration you must also pay the annual fee immediately and then on the anniversary date of your registration.

In some cases you pay an additional fee for the manager, in some cases this is included in the fee for the provider.

How to pay

If you make an application via Ofsted Online, Ofsted will check it. If your application is complete, you will receive a message which explains how to pay the registration fee online. Please note that Ofsted will only begin processing your application once you have paid your fee in full.

If you send your application in the post, you must include a completed fees form and a cheque for the relevant fee made payable to Ofsted. Please make sure you have signed and dated the cheque. Ofsted will return any application that does not come with the relevant fee.

You can pay your annual fee online.

Assessment process

We only start to process your application once you have supplied all the information that we need to process it, and you have paid the required fee.

We carry out checks and get references for each person connected with your application to make sure they are suitable to work with children and have the necessary skills, knowledge and experience. Applicants also have to demonstrate that they meet the relevant requirements of registration. As part of our assessment processes we visit the premises and carry out interviews.

Visit to your establishment or agency

During the visit we assess the premises and services you intend to provide, and interview all those connected with the application. In some cases it may be necessary to make more than one visit during the registration process if several people need to be interviewed. The inspector uses the visit to assess:

  • whether the proposed services protect and promote children, young people and adult service users safety and welfare
  • your fitness to provide or manage an establishment or agency
  • whether the proposed premises are safe and suitable for the purposes intended in the application (please note, this does not apply to residential holiday schemes for disabled children)

At the end of the visit the inspector will:

  • summarise the evidence that they have collected
  • check that your proposed conditions of registration follow annex A of the

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: