GovWire

Regulation: Regulatory actions against AQA

Ofqual

October 15
11:00 2019

Notice of Intention to Impose a Monetary Penalty on AQA regarding Reviews of Marking

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk.Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Notice of Intention to impose a Monetary Penalty on AQA - GCE French 2018

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk.Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Letter of Concern to AQA from Ofqual's Chief Regulator - GCSE English literature 2018

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email publications@ofqual.gov.uk.Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Details

Notice of Intention to impose a Monetary Penalty, Notice of Intention to accept a Settlement Proposal, and an Undertaking from AQA

In respect of AQAs reviews of marking and moderation in 2016, 2017 and 2018

Ofqual has decided to give notice that it intends to impose a Monetary Penalty of 350,000 on AQA and accept a Settlement Proposal that AQA will compensate affected Centres in the sum of 735,750 and pay Ofquals reasonable costs in respect of this matter. Interested parties may make representations in respect of this Notice.

This relates to the following breaches of AQAs Conditions of Recognition, in respect of its reviews of marking and moderation in 2016, 2017 and 2018:

  1. GCE / GCSE Condition 17.5 (a) and (b)
  2. GCE / GCSE Condition 14.5 (a) and (b)
  3. General Condition A6.1
  4. General Condition B3.1
  5. General Condition A5.2 (a) and (e)

During 2016, 2017 and 2018, AQA failed to ensure that all of its reviews of marking and moderation in respect of GCE and GCSE qualifications were carried out in their entirety by a person who had not been involved in the original marking. In some of these cases, AQA also failed to ensure that the reviews of marking and moderation were carried out by someone who had no personal interest in the outcome of the review. These failings affected an estimated 53,166 reviews of marking and moderation, in part or in whole, over a three year period. This represents around 7% of all of the reviews carried out by AQA each year. Around 93% of the affected reviews involved individual, anonymised answers that were reviewed at an item level on-screen. The remaining 7% involved reviews of whole scripts or moderat

Related Articles

Comments

  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:
Comments:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This


Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: