Detailed guide: Import licences and certificates from 1 January 2021

Office For Nuclear Regulation

October 28
11:29 2020

Youll need to get a licence or certificate to import some types of goods into the UK.

You might also need to pay an inspection fee for some goods before theyre allowed into the UK.

Animals, plants, food and agricultural products

Drugs, chemicals and waste

Published 10 July 2020
Last updated 28 October 2020 +show all updates
  1. Added link to importing chemicals guidance.

  2. First published.

  1. Step 1 Check if you should follow this step by step

    You should follow different guidance if you're:

  2. Step 2 Find out how to declare goods from 1 January 2021

    From 1 January 2021, you'll need to make customs declarations when you import goods from the EU. These rules currently apply to importing goods from the rest of the world, including Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

    You can make the declarations yourself, but most businesses use a courier, freight forwarder or customs agent.

    1. Find out how to make customs declarations yourself
    2. Get someone to deal with customs for you
  3. and Check the new rules for your type of goods

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: