Detailed guide: Wildlife licences: when you need to apply

Natural England

September 27
23:00 2020

You can get an unlimited fine and up to 6 months in prison if you do not have a licence when carrying out an activity that needs one.

You must normally be at least 18 to apply for a wildlife licence. However, you may be able to apply if youre at least 16 and you have wildlife licensing qualifications or awards.

When you need a licence

You need a licence from Natural England or Defra if you plan to disturb or remove wildlife, or damage habitats.

Youll need a licence if your work is to:

  • prevent damage to agriculture, livestock, fisheries, property or archaeology
  • protect public health and safety, such as demolishing an unsafe derelict building that hosts a bat roost
  • maintain or develop land, for example converting farmland or a brownfield site to housing
  • prevent disease among species
  • keep or release species not native to England
  • sell, own, exhibit or transport protected species
  • survey for the presence of wildlife on your land for science or educational research or for conservation work

Conditions of using licences

To use any licence you must:

  • follow the conditions written in each licence
  • submit records and annual reports if Natural England ask you to

When you do not need a licence

You do not need a licence to control pests such as rats and cockroaches. Read more on pest control on your property to find out what you can do without a licence.

Types of licence

There are 4 types of licence to allow you to carry out various types of work that may affect a protected species. Choose the type of licence relevant to the level of work you are planning to do.

General licences for low-risk work

You need a general licence for some types of work that have a low risk for the conservation or welfare of a protected species.

See the full list of species and activities that need a general licence.

You do not need to apply for a general licence but you must follow its conditions of use. A general licence is free of charge.

Class licences

You need a class licence if youre doing work that needs a specific skill or experience to avoid risk to the conservation or welfare of a protected species.

See the full list of species and activities that need a class licence.

You must check youre eligible to use a class licence and follow its conditions of use.

To use a class licence you must register with Natural England. How you register and how long it takes depends on the specific licence. Registration usually takes about 15 days.

Not all class licences are free of charge. Find out when you may need to pay.

You may need to provide references or other documentation to support your application.

Individual licences

You must apply for an individual licence if youre doing any activity that affects a protected species and is not covered by a general or class licence. This includes activities such as:

  • disturbing, trapping or handling protected species
  • disturbing their habitats, for example by cleaning out a pond or building a housing development

To find out if you need to apply for an individual licence, see the full list of licences for:

You also need an individual licence to keep, move or release a species into the wild if its not a species usually found in Great Britain.

If your work affects European protected species you need to apply for a mitigation licence. See the list of species that need a mitigation licence. Youll need to send additional information to support your application.

If you want to trap badgers, beavers, otters, pine marten or stoats, you must use traps that meet international humaneness standards.

It usually takes 30 working days to get an individual licence. Not all individual licences are free of charge. Find out when you may need to pay

Organisational licence

You can apply for an organisational licence if your business or organisation carries out an activity that:

  • is routine
  • affects one or more protected species

This means you may not need to apply for a separate licence each time you carry out that activity.

Find out how to apply for an organisational licence and the conditions that apply.

When you may need to pay

Natural England may charge for certain licences. Read the guidance for these licences to find out if youll need to pay for a licence or to make a modification to an existing one:

How to apply

You only need to apply for individual and organisational licences.

You can apply for individual licences online or by post. You may find it quicker to apply by post if you only need one licence.

You need to email a request for an organisational licence to

Apply online

Find out how to

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: