Detailed guide: Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC)

Ministry Of Defence

September 9
13:17 2020

Contact us

For casualty and compassionate cases contact our 24/7 telephone helpline 01452 519951

For other enquiries please use the contacts below:

9 September 2020 - Technical fault

due to a BT issue the number below is showing a fault.

Please call 01452 712612 Ext 7325 to contact the JCCC

Graves 01452 712612 ext 6304/6442/7659
Deceased estates 01452 712612 ext 6323/6301
Inheritance tax 01452 712612 ext 8174
Historic military commemorations 01452 712612 ext 6303/6082/5520
Licensing 01452 712612 ext 7330/6303

These numbers operate normal working hours.


Postal address:

Innsworth House
Imjin Barracks

Fax: 01452 510807

Actions to be taken now

Armed forces service personnel

What you need to do:

  • update your next of kin and emergency contact on Joint Personnel Administration (JPA)

  • make a will and enter details of the wills location on your JPA record

Guidance for regulars and reserves on writing and recording wills as well as their storage and eventual disposal on death or completion of service is available in DIN 2018- 01-091 Tri-service arrangements for the administration of service wills (Access is via MOD IT systems only).

  • circulate the JPA P001 (a credit card sized form given to you by your Unit) to your family and friends, with your details (rank, name, service number.) written on the card

  • download the MOD ICE (In Case of Emergency) app on the devices of your friends and family

Next of kin this is your closest living relative
Emergency contact is the person you chose to be called first if you have an emergency

Here is a short film outlining the role of the JCCC for you as a service person.

This film can only be viewed on personal devices.

Service Personnel Brief

Service personnel transcript (PDF, 30.2KB, 5 pages)

Families and loved ones

What you can do to prepare:

  • encourage the serving personnel to update the next of kin, emergency contact and will details on JPA
  • ask the serving personnel for the JPA P001, a card which provides details about who to call in an emergency
  • ask the serving personnel to download the MOD ICE (in case of emergency) on your device

Useful information to give the JCCC when you call:

  • rank, name, service and unit
  • service number
  • date of birth
  • details of the compassionate case

Here is a short film outlining the role of the JCCC for you as a family member or loved one of service personnel.

This film can only be viewed on personal devices.

Families Brief

Families transcript (PDF, 25.7KB, 5 pages)

Bereavement guide for families of service personnel

Families who have lost a loved one will receive a hard copy Purple Pack via their visiting officer. This online extended version contains further information, links, guidance and support.

Within the Purple Pack, you will find information on:

  • immediate issues faced by families
  • funerals
  • entitlements and benefits
  • various support networks

You can access the Purple Pack here.

In Case of Emergency app (MOD ICE)

The MOD In Case of Emergency (ICE) App is currently unavailable for download and use from the Defence Gateway. All service personnel and their families are encouraged to use the JPA P001 Form should they need to contact the JCCC in an emergency. Personnel can request a copy of the JPA P001 Form from their units. The JCCC contact numbers can also be found online at the GOV.UK website. Options are being explored to resolve this issue and further announcements will be made in due course.

Casualty reporting

If a casualty occurs, the nominated emergency contact and next of kin will be informed. The JCCC may be able to approve the travel of next of kin to the bedside of a casualty if appropriate.

If personnel die in service, the JCCC will make the post-death arrangements and can provide advice on:

  • repatriation
  • funeral entitlements
  • marking of graves
  • estate issues
Casualty Notifying Officer is the person who tells you about the casualty in the first instance
Visiting Officer is the person provides you with long term support

Telephone: 01452 519951

If you have questions on financial matters relating to service in the armed forces, you should call the Veterans UK Freephone helpline: 0808 1914 218 (from outside the UK call: +44 1253 866 043).

Armed Forces Incident Centre

The Armed Forces Incident Centre will be activated if a mass casualty incident occurs involving any defence personnel to handle enquiries from families and provide updates on the incident. However, in the early phases of a major incident, information will be limited as the JCCC will be concentrating its efforts on informing emergency contacts/next of kin about those who may have been injured.

Activation will be published through the media and service command headquarters at which time the phone line will be active.

Compassionate casework

Serving personnel can be returned on compassionate grounds in the event of an unexpected death in the family, serious illness or serious family crisis. Expected events, such as a schedul

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: