Maritime Coastguard Agency
Detail of outcome
The report for the under 15m fishing vessel code of practice consultation includes a summary of responses and key findings.
Detail of feedback received
A chart of public feedback received, from whom and Maritime and Coastguard Agency response to the feedback received.
In the last 10 years, there have been 46 fatalities on small fishing vessels which have resulted in several recommendations from the Marine Accident Investigation Board (MAIB) to improve safety. Some of these came into force in 2017 with the introduction of a new code, MSN 1871.
MSN 1871 Amendment No.1 currently contains requirements for life saving appliances, detecting flooding, construction of new fishing vessels, stability of new fishing vessels of 12m and over, crew accommodation and modifications to vessels.
To address the remaining recommendations, the MCA have developed a new code of practice for small fishing vessels, proposing new requirements for new and existing vessels in the following areas:
The new code proposed new requirements relating to:
- Construction, watertight and weather-tight integrity for all vessels
- Stability for new and existing vessels of all sizes
- Machinery for all vessels
- Electrical installations for all vessels
- Crew protection
- Man overboard recovery
- In and out of water inspections
Please see the consultation document for more detail.
Ways to respond
Please email your consultation response form (Appendix A) to: email@example.com
Ministerial Departmental News
- PM's Office, 10 Downing Street
- Cabinet Office
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport
- Department for Education
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for International Development
- Department for Transport
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- HM Treasury
- Home Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Justice
- Northern Ireland Office
- Scotland Office
- Wales Office
- See all departments