Export Control Organisation
The consolidated list is compiled from 7 lists in various pieces of international legislation which set out what types of goods are controlled.
Use the online checker tools to establish:
- if your items are controlled
- the appropriate control entry reference in the consolidated list
- if an appropriate open general export licence (OGEL) exists
If your items are listed under a control list (rating) entry you need an export licence from Export Control Joint Unit (ECJU) .
If your goods are not on the control lists, you may still need a licence under end-use controls. This applies where there are concerns over their use in a weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programme.
Types of controlled goods
Broad categories are:
- items specifically designed or modified for military use and their components
- dual-use items that can be used for civil or military purposes
- associated technology and software
- goods that might be used for torture
- radioactive sources
Updates to the UK strategic export control lists
Updates to this list occur about twice a year. Its your responsibility to ensure that you:
- are aware of all recent updates to the lists
- check the latest version
- take appropriate action to get a licence where necessary