Detailed guide: Export licences and special rules after a no-deal Brexit

Export Control Organisation

November 6
09:02 2019

Animals, plants, food and agricultural products

Chemicals, drugs and waste


Controlled goods

Controlled goods include military items, dual-use items (items with both civil and military uses)firearms and items that can be used for torture or capital punishment.

Goods and services used for both civilian and military purposes (dual use)

Check if you need a licence if you:

  • export high-tech products like specialist computers, radios and other communications equipment
  • develop software that could be used for information security systems (for example, cryptographic technology)
  • share information, knowledge or skills that could be used to make weapons


There are different types of sanctions for finance, trade and immigration. You may also not be allowed to export to someone on the financial sanctions list.

Check if your goods or services will be controlled by UK sanctions after a no-deal Brexit when exporting.

Published 6 November 2019
  1. Step 1 Make sure your business has an EORI number that starts with GB

    You'll need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number starting with GB to continue exporting goods.

    1. Get an EORI number
  2. and Check your importer has an EU EORI number

    Your importer will need an EU EORI number.

    You'll need to get an EU EORI number if you're exporting to your own business within the EU. You can get one from the customs authority in any EU country.

  3. Step 2 Decide who will make the export declarations

    You can hire someone to deal with customs for you, or you can do it yourself.

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: