Department For Transport
The underlying data has been subject to amendment since this release was first published on 21 May 2020.
The 2019 minor road traffic benchmarking exercise, which is carried out approximately every 10 years with the aim to improve the accuracy of traffic estimates for minor roads, resulted in revisions to the minor road traffic estimates covering 2010 to 2019. For more information about the minor roads benchmarking exercise, please refer to the documentation from the 2019 exercise.
Provisional estimates of road traffic, by
- vehicle type
- road class
in Great Britain for the year ending March 2020.
Provisional estimates show motor vehicles travelled 322.7 billion vehicle miles (bvm) in Great Britain for the year ending March 2020.
When compared to the year ending March 2019:
- all motor vehicle traffic decreased by 2.1%
- van traffic decreased by 1.5% to 50.4 billion vehicle miles
- lorry traffic decreased by 1.3% to 16.9 billion vehicle miles
- car traffic decreased by 2.2% to 250.6 billion vehicle miles
- traffic on motorways decreased by 2.3% to 67.2 billion vehicle miles
- traffic on A roads decreased by 2.1% to 146.8 billion vehicle miles
- traffic on minor roads decreased by 1.9% to 108.7 billion vehicle miles
Road traffic and vehicle speed compliance statistics
Public enquiries 020 7944 3095