Detailed guide: Drive in the EU after Brexit: bus and coach drivers

Department For Transport

October 29
13:21 2019

Stay up to date

The UK is leaving the EU. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit and will be updated if anything changes.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

Driving licences and international driving permits

You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you.

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries, Iceland and Norway if theres a no-deal Brexit.

The types of IDPs you need will depend on the countries you will drive through.

You will not need an IDP to drive in Ireland if you have a UK driving licence.

You can get an IDP over the counter at the Post Office.

They cost 5.50 and you must:

  • be a Great Britain or Northern Ireland resident
  • have a full UK driving licence
  • be 18 or over

Driver CPC for bus and coach drivers

You need a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification to drive a bus or coach professionally in the UK, the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway

If you work for a UK company and have a UK Driver CPC qualification

You will still need Driver CPC to drive professionally in the UK after Brexit. You must still complete your Driver CPC periodic training by your deadline.

You do not need to do anything else if youre a UK driver working for a UK company.

You will still be able to drive to or through EU countries with your UK Driver CPC qualification for all international journeys that UK companies are allowed to make after a no-deal Brexit.

After the UK joins the Interbus Agreement

The UK will join the Interbus Agreement if theres a no-deal Brexit.

This is an agreement about the international occasional (not scheduled) carriage of passengers by bus or coach. It applies to the EU, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Turkey and Ukraine.

Youll be able to drive for a UK company in the EU with a UK Driver CPC qualification after the UK has joined this agreement after Brexit.

If you work for an EU company and have a UK Driver CPC qualification

Exchange your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU one if you work for an EU company or want to work for one. You will then be able to work for both EU and UK companies after Brexit.

You need to exchange it before Brexit. Do it as soon as possible.

The way you do this will depend on how the country where you live and work recognises Driver CPC. Some countries:

  • use a Driver CPC card (like the UK does) - this is sometimes called a driver qualification card or DQC
  • add code 95 to the driving licence

Some countries recognise either method.

Countries that use a Driver CPC card

These countries use the Driver CPC card as proof that drivers have the qualification:

Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg (for non-resident drivers only), Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.

Apply to the relevant organisation in the country where you live and work to exchange your Driver CPC qualification. Check with them how long it takes to make sure you do it in time.

Countries that use code 95 on the driving licence

These countries add code 95 to driving licences as proof that drivers have the qualification:

Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg (for resident drivers only), Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland and Slovenia.

Exchange your UK driving licence for a driving licence in the EU country where you live and work so that your Driver CPC qualification is exchanged. Check with the relevant organisation in the country to find out if you need to take any extra steps. Check with them how long it takes to make sure you do it in time.

If you do not live in the EU country where you work, your employer may be able to get you a driver attestation certificate. They will not be able to do this until the UK has left the EU.

If you work for a UK company and have an EU Driver CPC qualification

The UK will recognise Driver CPC qualifications from EU countries after Brexit.


You may need to renew your British passport earlier if youre travelling after a no-deal Brexit.

On the day you travel, youll need your passport to both:

  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

If you do not renew it, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

You can use a tool to check whether your passport is valid for the country youre visiting.

It usually takes 3 weeks if you need to renew your passport. Theres a premium service if you need it sooner.

These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as its valid for the length of your stay.


You will not need a visa for short trips, according to European Commission proposals. You could stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, or to work or study.

Check back for updates.

When the rules are confirmed, information about how to get a visa if you need one will be on each countrys travel advice page.

Travel to Ireland will not change, even if theres a no-deal Brexit. Youll continue to be able to travel and work there in the same way as before.


You should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card may not be valid if theres a no-deal Brexit.

Insurance and road accidents

A green card is proof you have motor insurance cover wh

Related Articles


  1. We don't have any comments for this article yet. Why not join in and start a discussion.

Write a Comment

Your name:
Your email:

Post my comment

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: