Department For Education
The phonics screening check data collection is an annual statutory data collection that takes place each June. Local authorities must complete statutory data collections by law unless theres a very good reason not to.
In the 2020 to 2021 academic year only, schools must administer a past version of the check to year 2 pupils during the second half of the 2020 autumn term. This is due to the cancellation of the phonics screening check in June 2020. Schools should return results to DfE through their local authority.
Phonics teaches people to read by relating sounds with letters and words. The phonics screening check is designed to check whether pupils understand phonics to an appropriate standard.
You must submit phonics screening check assessment data for year 1 pupils in all:
- schools maintained by the local authority
- free schools
- special schools (schools for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
Dates for the 2020 data collection:
- collection opens - Monday 7 December 2020
- deadline for submitting data - Friday 22 January 2021
Submit your data
Youll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your data
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a DfE Sign-in username or password so you can access COLLECT
- phonics screening check data is not on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
Get help using DfE Sign-in
If you do not know who your approver is, please use the DfE Sign-in request form.
If youve forgotten your password, use DfE Sign-in to reset it. You will need to click Start now and then the Ive forgotten my password link.
Note that well only be able to change the status of your data submission to authorised once youve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following guides will help you complete the return:
- guide for local authorities (to be added later)
- technical specification
- COLLECT guides for schools and LAs
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Ministerial Departmental News
- PM's Office, 10 Downing Street
- Cabinet Office
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport
- Department for Education
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for International Development
- Department for Transport
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- HM Treasury
- Home Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Justice
- Northern Ireland Office
- Scotland Office
- Wales Office
- See all departments