Defence Science Technology Laboratory
What is Easy Access IP?
Easy Access IP is a licencing approach formalised by Glasgow University, Kings College London and Bristol University and has seen growing adoption among other UK and foreign universities. Dstl is the first UK government organisation to adopt the Easy Access IP scheme.
Easy Access IP offers certain technologies for free, in combination with a simple licence agreement. There are no licence fees or royalties but licensees will be required to pay for the ongoing patent costs.For Dstl the scheme offers an opportunity to build relationships within industry and provides a mechanism to release technology to those who may be able to further develop it. For industry it creates an opportunity to commercialise Dstl technologies, but at a reduced risk. It also allows exchange of knowledge between government and external organisations.
Technologies available through Easy Access IP are usually considered to be a low technical readiness for commercialisation; with limited funding this means Dstl are not always able to develop it. The intellectual property available, usually includes patent rights and/or software, but can be other forms of intellectual property too. By offering the licences for free, Dstl is able to see the technology potentially come to market and create an impact.
Conditions to note
- The licensee will need to inform Dstl of their plans to commercialise the technology
- The licensee should ensure they acknowledge the IP was originally developed by Dstl
- The licensee must sign the one page license agreement
- The licensee must pay ongoing patent costs. Dstl can provide indicative costs for patents, which will be invoiced in UK pounds sterling.
Read the full terms and conditions
Easy Access IP is run alongside our primary route for licensing through our technology transfer company, Ploughshare Innovations. For more information on these technologies please visit the Ploughshare Innovations website
If you have any questions or if you would like further information regarding Easy Access IP, please contact the Easy IP mailbox
Watch our short video for more detail.
Dstl Easy Access IP Portfolio
- Ballistic military helmet, with vents to enable the user to cool down
- Lower Limb AMP Protection
- System for evaluating cranial blunt impact injury risk
Note that Dstl will be happy to discuss licensing of any of its technologies where appropriate, not just the ones listed above.
To find out more about the scheme or a particular technology, simply contact us at email@example.com.
Ministerial Departmental News
- PM's Office, 10 Downing Street
- Cabinet Office
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport
- Department for Education
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for International Development
- Department for Transport
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Department of Health
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- HM Treasury
- Home Office
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Justice
- Northern Ireland Office
- Scotland Office
- Wales Office
- See all departments