Bringing animals into Great Britain

Animal Plant Health Agency

October 13
16:12 2021

When you bring animals into Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) for your personal use, for example because theyre your pet, its called a personal import. You may need to follow certain rules or get certificates.

The rules depend on what animal youre bringing in and what country youre bringing it from.

If the animal is a non-native species to Great Britain, youll have to follow certain rules, regardless of where its coming from. You should check the rules for bringing in a non-native species.

You can check if your animal is non-native on the GB non-native species secretariat website.

If youre bringing animals into Northern Ireland

There are different rules if youre:

Dogs, cats and ferrets

You can bring your dog, cat or ferret into Great Britain as long as they meet the right health and documentation requirements.

If you do not follow these rules, your pet may be put into quarantine for up to 4 months, or refused entry if you travelled by sea.

You must follow extra rules if the animals will be sold or rehomed in Great Britain - read the guidance in the Goods Subject to Sanitary and Phytosanitary Controls sections.

Other animals

The rules for bringing other animals into Great Britain depend on whether youre bringing them from an EU country or from outside the EU.

Bringing in animals from an EU country

There are no restrictions on bringing pet rodents, rabbits, invertebrates, amphibians or reptiles to Great Britain from EU countries.

To bring a pet bird to Great Britain from an EU country youll need a health certificate.

Bringing in animals from outside the EU

Your pet rabbit or rodent must be put into quarantine for 4 months after you arrive in Great Britain. Youll also need to get a rabies import licence for the animal.

You can usually bring in pet invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians without any health certificates. You must have a signed declaration from the owners saying the animals are:

  • not for sale
  • fit and healthy
  • able to complete the journey

You can only bring in a pet bird from an approved country. Youll also need to get a health certificate and a pet bird import licence from the Centre for International Trade in Carlisle.

To check the exact rules for your pet, contact the Centre for International Trade in Carlisle.

Centre for International Trade: Carlisle
Telephone: 03000 200 301
Fax: 0208 0260 498
Find out about call charges

Centre for International Trade: Carlisle
Eden Bridge House
Lowther Street

Recent Comments

Follow Us on Twitter

Share This

Enjoyed this? Why not share it with others if you've found it useful by using one of the tools below: