Department For Education
Details about appointments made to the departments public bodies. Details include start dates of appointments, end dates or duration of appointments, time commitment, remuneration, political activity and other interests declared by appointees.
A public appointment is generally a ministerial appointment to the board of a public body or advisory committee.
Public bodies across the UK deliver important and essential public services. This includes large public bodies overseen by boards of directors and small, advisory committees made up of lay members, experts and specialists.
An appointee to the board of a public body will often be involved in:
- providing direction and leadership - this includes setting the organisations strategy, agreeing business plans to deliver the strategy and recruiting key staff
- holding senior staff to account - this includes holding managers to account on how the body is managed, how business plans are delivered and how the budget is spent
- representing the work and views of the body - this might be to ministers, parliamentarians, key stakeholders and the wider public
Those appointed to advisory bodies provide independent, expert advice to government departments and ministers on specific issues.
A public appointment could give you a chance to:
- give something back and contribute your expertise to help the community and influence decisions that affect everyones lives
- return from a career break
- meet people from all walks of life who also want to make a difference
- develop your career, gain board experience and improve your skills
Public appointments are made in accordance with the Cabinet Office Governance Code for Public Appointments. Regulation is carried out by the Commissioner for Public Appointments. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the decision making process.
For further information on non-executive appointments, please contact PublicAppointments.DFE@education.gov.uk.
The Department for Educations public bodies include:
- Adoption Special Guardianship Leadership Board
- Child Safeguarding Practice Review Panel
- Childrens Commissioner for England
- Construction Industry Training Board
- Engineering Construction Industry Training Board
- Film Industry Training Board
- Further Education Commissioners Office
- Her Majestys Chief Inspector of Education, Childrens Services and Skills
- Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education
- Independent Assessors for Student Finance, Appeals and Complaints
- Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation
- Office for Standards in Education, Childrens Services and Skills
- Office for Students
- School Teachers Review Body
- Social Mobility Commission
- Social Work England
- Student Loans Company Ltd