2. Apply to convert

Department For Education

October 10
08:35 2019

Were working on a new online form, designed to make it easier and quicker for schools to apply to convert to an academy. If you would like to try the new service, email for more details.

Complete the application form

Your schools headteacher or chair of governors should fill in and submit the academy conversion application form online.

If you are a special school, your headteacher or chair of governors should use the paper application form for special schools.

If you are a pupil referral unit (PRU), you should use the form for PRUs wishing to convert to alternative provision academies.

Your project lead will be able to answer any questions you may have about filling in your application form.

Notify your local authority

If you have not already done so, you should notify your local authority of your plans to convert to academy status when you apply.

Ask them if they have any internal processes or timescales that you will need to take into consideration during the conversion process, particularly if your school has:

  • a private finance initiative (PFI) contract
  • a deficit with a recovery plan agreed with the local authority
  • major building works financed by the local authority

If you have any of these, you may have to go through elected members (or cabinet) to get your local authoritys approval to convert to academy status, which can be time consuming.