Around 1 in 5 senior leaders are externally recruited to the SCS (Senior Civil Servant), bringing a wealth of experience gained through their careers outside the Civil Service.
Workshops and events
Civil Service Orientation: Leading in the Civil Service
For those of you who are Senior Civil Servants (SCS), new to the Civil Service you are invited to attend the Civil Service Orientation to support you in your transition.
This is a half-day induction to the Senior Civil Service is hosted by senior leaders from departments across the Civil Service, curated by the Civil Service Leadership Academy. Due to COVID 19 we will be delivering virtual sessions this year.
We know that when SCS are new into the Civil Service, they appreciate developing a network quickly and benefit from having the opportunity to explore in a safe space what is expected of them as leaders and how to work effectively within the unique context of Government.
The aims of the programme are to:
- celebrate the new role and welcome you to the Civil Service
- provide the participants with a clear steer of what is expected of them as leaders within the Civil Service
- create personal networks across the Civil Service
- introduce the Civil Service corporate leadership frameworks
- provide support to new SCS to think about their leadership journey
- provide insights into working with Ministers and the Private Office
- signpost to the fuller orientation offer: website, pairing scheme etc.
Leading in Parliament
This 1-day workshop provides an overview of Parliaments day-to-day work and processes and helps senior leaders understand their roles and responsibilities in supporting the parliamentary process. This workshop is delivered in Parliament, by a range of high-level parliamentarians and senior officials.
Parliamentary insights seminars for SCS
New senior leaders have access to monthly 1-hour seminars, focussing on specific elements of the parliamentary process. The sessions are delivered by experts from both the House of Commons and the House of Lords and overseen by Elizabeth Gardiner, the First Parliamentary Counsel.
Resources on Civil Service Learning
- Informal guide to SCS provides advice and information on a wide range of key issues for new Senior Civil Servants, including: governance, accountability and decision making in government and political awareness
- Working with ministers handbook provides guidance and insight on advising and briefing ministers
- provides resources and contacts helpful as you settle into your new role in the Senior Civil Service (SCS)